An Abandoned Sunnah on Friday at Jumu’ah
مطيع بن الحكم قال كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا صعد المنبر أقبلنا بوجوهنا إليه.
Mut’ee bin Al-Hakim (may Allah be pleased with him) said, Whenever the Prophet (sallahu alayhi wa salim) used to ascend on the Minbar we used to turn facing him.”
Collected by Bukhari in Tareek (2102). Al-Albani graded this hadeeth as ebing Saheeh in Silsilah # 2080
Benefits for this subject:
- Al-Albani (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “Facing the Khateeb is an abandoned Sunnah.” [Silsilah (2080)]
- Imam Al-Bukhari mentioned this hadeeth under the title ,” The people face the Imam, and ,The people face the imam while he’s delivering the sermon, ibn Umar and Anas (may Allah be pleased with them) used to face the Imam. [Silsilah 2080]
- Ibn Hajr said, “ The wisdom in facing the Imam is to adjust yourself to listen to his speech. Facing the Imam is an etiquette and manner for listening to his sermon. When a person faces the Imam he turns his face and body towards him, along with his heart and mind…[ Fathul Bari 2/402]
- “ Turn facing him” Ibn Malik said this means to face our body and attention to the Imam. This act is Sunnan: People facing the Khateeb.
- Mulla Ali Qari, “It’s Sunnah for the people to turn facing the Imam while he’s giving the Khutbah, however some people don’t do it because they are facing the Qiblah. They remain facing the Qiblah as it’s difficult to straighten the rows ,due to the crowd. Nevertheless, to face the Imam doesn’t mean turning away from the Qiblah.[ Al-Muraqah 3/508]
- TN ( I ask Allah for forgiveness),so that’s clearer for the reader ,if the Imam is giving the sermon and he’s on either your left or right, then it’s Sunnah to alter your body towards him. This is done by either turning to the left or right depending on which side the Imam is. And then your chest, face, heart and mind are directed towards him. Allah knows best.
Translated and compiled by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Battle
Doha, Qatar Jumadul Awwal 10th, 1432.