عَنِ النُّعْمَانِ بْنِ بَشِيرٍ ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ : إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَتَبَ كِتَابًا قَبْلَ أَنْ يَخْلُقَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ بِأَلْفَيْ عَامٍ ، أَنْزَلَ مِنْهُ آيَتَيْنِ خَتَمَ بِهِمَا سُورَةَ الْبَقَرَةِ ، وَلاَ يُقْرَآنِ فِي دَارٍ ثَلاَثَ لَيَالٍ فَيَقْرَبُهَا شَيْطَانٌ.
An-Nu’man bin Bashir (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sallahu alayhi wa salam) said: “Indeed Allah wrote in a book two thousand years before He created the Heavens and the Earth, and He sent down two ayat from the end of Surah Al-Baqarah. If these verses are recited in home for three nights no Shaytan will come near it.”
Collected by: At-Tirmithi in Jami (2882) Al-Albani graded this hadeeth as being Sahih in his checking for Jami At-Tirmithi.
Benefits for this topic:
- At-Teebee said: In short everything that will happen was written in the Preserved Tablet fifty thousand years before Allah created the Heavens, and part of this is the Quran (will be sent down).
- ” If these verses are recited in a home…” Any part of the house.(except the bathroom)
- “Three nights…” In all three nights the surah is recited.
- ” Shaytann will not come near it.” The Devil will not come near this home, not to mention enter it. The Prophet (sallahu Alayhi wa salam) clearly stated that Shaytann wouldn’t come near this home, therefore it’s understood that he could not enter the home as well (explanation of Miskahtul Musabih)
- TN (May Allah forgive him) : These last two verses should be recited for three nights, and this hadeeth completes the same goal of driving away Shaytaan from our homes like reciting Surahtul Baqarah from beginning to end. The Prophet (sallahu alayhi wa salam) said: ” Verily, Shaytann doesn’t enter the house where Al-Baqarah is read.” (Muslim1870).
Al-Mubarakfuri (may Allah have mercy on him) said: The person who reads Al-Baqarah at night the devil won’t enter his house for three nights and the person who recites it during the day, then Shaytaan won’t enter his home for three days.(explanation for Jami At-Tirmithi)
TN (May Allah pardon him for his shortcomings) In conclusion, we learn from this hadeeth why some scholars hold the opinion that these last two verses are protection from Shaytaan .In the following hadeeth the Prophet (sallahu alayhi wa salam) said:
الآيَتَانِ مِنْ آخِرِ سُورَةِ الْبَقَرَةِ مَنْ قَرَأَهُمَا فِى لَيْلَةٍ كَفَتَاهُ
“Whoever recited the last two verses of suratul Baqarah at night, they will be sufficient for him.” (Muslim 1914)
” …will be sufficient for him” has been explained to mean these two verses will suffice for his night prayer, protect him against the devil, ease his stress, or serve as a protection from mishaps during the night. (refer to explanation of Muslim from Qadi Iyyad and An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on them both). Allah knows best.
Translated and compiled by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Battle
Doha, Qatar (1434 H) ©