عطاء أنه سمع بن الزبير على المنبر يقول إذا دخل أحدكم المسجد والناس ركوع فليركع حين يدخل ثم يدب راكعا حتى يدخل في الصف فإن ذلك السنة
Atta’ heard Ibn Zubair on the Minbar say: ” Whenever you enter the masjid and the people are in Ruku’ then bow where enter you from. Following this, slowly walk (bowing) until you reach the row. Doing this act is Sunnah.
Collected by At-Tabari in Al-Awsot # 7016. Al-Albani graded this hadith as being Saheeh.
Benefits for this subject:
- Ibn Zubair said entering the masjid and making Ruku and walking to the row, while in that state was Sunnah. Accordingly, when a person comes late and misses, Fatihah, and Qiyam , but catches the Ruku, then its sunnah for him to bow and walk slowly until he reaches the line.
- When A companion of the Prophet (sallAllahu alayhi was salam) says , ” This act is Sunnah” , it carries two positions in Islam. 1. They are talking about the Sunnah of the Prophet (alayhi was salam) and 2. The status of the hadith goes to Marfu’, and thus is attributed to the Prophet (sallAllahu alayhi was salam) according to the majority of the scholars. (refer to Alfeeyatus Suyuti fee Mustalahil Hadith)
- There were other companions of the Prophet (sallAllahu wa salam) who acted by this Sunnah. They were: Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq, Zayd ibn Thaabit, Abdullah ibn Masud, Abu Bakrah, and Abdullah ibn Zubair.
- This is striking evidence for the correctness in a person’s action, if he follows this Sunnah. There were Fuqaha among the Sahabah , not to mention Abu Bakr who did this act. The scholars of Fiqh say, ” When the four rightly guided caliphs or the Fuqaha among the companions do or say something; it is a proof, provided two conditions are met.”
- 1.Their actions or statements don’t contradict the texts. If they contradict the text, then the text is what’s followed.
- 2. Their actions or statements don’t contradict other companions. Whenever their statements disagree with other Sahabah, then the strongest position between the two is followed.( refer to explanation Mukhtasrit Tahrir by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih Al-Uthaymeen )
- Not only did the companions act by this sunnah during their era, but it was followed by other salaf. Among the salaf who practiced this act were: Atta, Uthman ibn Al-Aswad, Zayd ibn Wahab, Imam Malik ibn Anas, Ishaq ibn Raahowiyah and Imam Ahmed ibn Hanbal.(refer to Musnaf Ibn Abi shaybah, and Masa’il of two imams of Hadith.)
- There are some other benefits for this hadith as well.
- Catching the ruku’ is catching the prayer.
- Ibn Zubair mentioned this act as, ” a Sunnah” over the minbar in Masjid Haraam
- There is no difference of opinion regarding this issue among the companions of the Prophet (sallAllahi wa salam) (refer to silsilatus Sahihah vol1/ page 453-460 by Shaykh Al-Albani)
Translator’s/ researcher’s note: It is probably safe to say this act is an abandoned Sunnah in our era and Allah knows best.
Translated and compiled by
Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Lamont Battle
Doha, Qatar© Jumada 2nd, 18th, 1435H
To be continued –Insha Allah