The Sunnah of a Man Bathing with His Wife
قَالَتْ عَائِشَةُ كُنْتُ أَغْتَسِلُ أَنَا وَرَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- مِنْ إِنَاءٍ وَاحِدٍ وَنَحْنُ جُنُبَانِ.
Aisha (radi Allahu anha) said: “ I and Allah’s Messenger used to take a bath from a single water container and we were in sexual impurity.
عن أم هانئ : أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم اغتسل هو وميمونة من إناء واحد في قصعة فيها أثر العجين
Umm Hani (Radi Allahu anha) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) performed ghusl, he and Maimunah from a single vessel , a bowl in which there were traces of dough.
Benefits for this topic:
- Ibn Hajr placed this hadith under the title “ The verdict for a man to take ghusl with his wife from a single water container”, in Bulugh Al-Maram.
- This action is sunnah when it strengthens the love and affection between a husband and his wife.
- It’s permissible for a man and a woman to look at each other’s private part. 
- It’s permissible for a man and his wife to use their hands and pour water on each other while in the bathtub.
- It’s permissible for a man and his wife to bath and look at each while taking a bath. Allah has allowed spouses to enjoy each other in many ways, such as looking at each other. Allah said: And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts) Except from their wives or (the captives and slaves) that their right hands possess, for then, they are free from blame[ Al-Mu’minun 5-6]
- This hadith proves that when a man and his wife touch each other their Tahara isn’t affected.
- This hadith proves that the water in the container isn’t affected when a man bathes with his wife in the same tub.
- This hadith is evidence that we shouldn’t waste water. The prophet( صلى الله عليه وسلم ) and his wife both used one container to wash from. It isn’t obligatory for each spouse to have their own container of water; as this is wasteful.
- This hadeth shows the humility of the Prophet. He used to take a ghusl with his wives.
- How many of us practice this action today?!This act is among those actions that can strengthen the martial bond, therefore its Sunnah. The prophet used to practice this act not only with Aisha, but also with Maimounah. Hence if a man has more than one wife he should follow suit. And Allah the Most high knows best.
Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight L Battle Sr.
Doha, Qatar 1436(c)
 Al-Bukhari 273
 Sunan An-Nisa’I 241 grade as being Sahih by Sh Muhammad Adam
 Sh. Al-Uthaymeen, Bulugh Al-Maram vol1/ 618.
 Sh Ahmed Najmi, Ta’seesul Ahkam vol1/80
 Sh. Fawzan , Tasheel, vol 1/ 286