Have Sins forgiven while Sleeping
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُمَا : أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ – صلى الله عليه وسلم – قَالَ :«طَهِّرُوا هَذِهِ الأَجْسَاد طَهَّرَكُم اللهُ ، فَإِنَّهُ لَيْسَ عَبْدٌ يَبِيْتُ طَاهِراً إِلاَّ بَاتَ مَعَهُ مَلَكٌ فِي شِعَارِهِ ، لاَ يَنْقَلِبُ سَاعَةً مِنَ اللَّيْلِ إِلاَّ قَالَ : اللَّهُمَّ أَغْفِرْ لِعَبْدِكَ فَإِنَّهُ بَاتَ طَاهِراً»
Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu anhuma) narrated The Prophet ﷺ said, “Purify these bodies, may Allaah purify you, for there is no servant who spends the night in a state of purification except an angel spends the night with him, in the garment which is closest to his body [and] he does not turn over at any time during the night except that the angel says, ‘O Allaah! Forgive Your servant for he went to sleep in a state of purification.’”
وَعَنِهُ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ – صلى الله عليه وسلم – :«مَنْ بَاتَ طَاهِراً ، بَاتَ فِي شِعَارِهِ مَلَكٌ ، فَلَمْ يَسْتَيْقِظْ إِلاَّ قَالَ الْمَلَكُ : اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِعَبْدِكَ فُلاَنٍ ، فَإِنَّهُ بَاتَ طَاهِراً
Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu anhuma) said Allah’s Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: “Whoever spends the night in a state of purity an Angel stays the night with him in his closest garment. When he wakes up the Angel says “ Oh Allah forgive your slave so and so because he slept last night in a state of purity.”
Benefits for this topic:
- Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu anhuma) is Abdullah ibn Umar ibn Al-Khattab (73H). He is among those companions who has a large number of hadith narrated from the Prophet. He is one of the (العبادلة) that’s made up of four companions; Abdullah ibn Umar, Abdullah ibn ‘Abbass, Abdullah ibn Az-Zubair and Abdullah ibn Amr ibn ‘Aws (Radi Allahu anhum).The Scholars of Hadith and Fiqh consider these four the “Al-Ebaddalah” as they lived a long time , issued many fataawa and verdicts so, the scholars rely on their opinions and when they all agree on something it’s said: “ This is the statement of the Ebaddalah or their actions, or their school of Jurisprudence.” 
- Ibn Hibban titled a chapter is his Sahih , “The Angel seeks forgiveness for the person who sleeps at night in purity after he wakes up”
- (Purify these bodies…) This is right before bedtime as will be explained later on in the rest of the Hadith.
- (may Allaah purify you…) This is a supplication from the Prophet to Allah to grant them success in earning spiritual cleansing from the defilement of sins through forgiveness.
- (for there is no servant who spends the night in a state of purification) The slave makes wudu the way he does for prayer. This action is mentioned Sahih Al-Bukhari . ““Whenever you go to bed, perform Wudu’ as you do for Salat…”
- (except that an angel spends the night with him…) This means the Angel stays close to him and accompanies him throughout the night.
- (in the garment which is closest to his body…) The covering he uses to cover up his body while lying down.
- (and] he does not turn over at any time during the night…) This refers to the one sleeping as the Angels don’t sleep
- (the angel says, ‘O Allaah! Forgive Your servant for he went to sleep in a state of purification…) The reason the Angel makes this supplication for forgiveness is because the slave is in an apparent pure state while he’s sleeping and his unnoticeable condition of purity is he’s asleep repentant for his sins. This is the best state for the slave to sleep with; as sleep is like death and perhaps the Angel might take his soul while he asleep.
Translated and prepared by
Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight L Battle
Doha, Qatar 1/17/2016
Twitter account @lamontbattle
 AL Mu’jamul Kabeer ,13620, Imam At-Tabarani graded as being Hasan li ghayrahi by Shaykh Al-Albani(
 Collected by Ibn Hibban in his Sahih, 1051 graded as being hasan by Shuaib Al-Ar-naut
 Refer to , Taqreeb Atah-theeb and Al-‘Isabah both by Al-Hafith Ibn Hajr(852H)
 At-Tanweer Sharhul Jami As-Saghir, Al-Ameer As-San’anee (1182H), vol 7/ 138-139