Praying 40 days in Isha’s Congregation Major Reward
عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- مَنْ صَلَّى لِلَّهِ أَرْبَعِينَ يَوْمًا فِى جَمَاعَةٍ يُدْرِكُ التَّكْبِيرَةَ الأُولَى كُتِبَتْ لَهُ بَرَاءَتَانِ بَرَاءَةٌ مِنَ النَّارِ وَبَرَاءَةٌ مِنَ النِّفَاقِ
Anas ibn Malik (radi Allahu Anhu) said: The Prophet (sallahu alayhi wa salam) said, “Who prays forty days sincerely for Allah in congregation catching the opening takbir, then two exemptions are written for him. He will be safe from the fire and free from hypocrisy.”
Collected by At-Tirmithi (241) graded as being Hasan Li Ghayrihi by Al-Albani
Benefits for this topic:
- “Whoever prays for Allah”: This means sincerely for Allah’s, while seeking His pleasure.
- “Forty days” : This is referring to the night prayer (Isha)
- “Catching the opening takbir…”This means the Takbir Ihram with the Imam.
- “Safe from the fire…” This means the person will be saved and rescued from Hell. Some scholars believe this refers to a person being safe from falling into debt and his shortcomings. Reason being, there is no way to be safe from Hell, except through repentance for both major and minor sins.
- ” Free from hypocrisy.”At-Taybi said,: This implies that Allah protects him in this world from doing the actions of the Hypocrites. He will be granted the success to do the deeds done by the people of sincerity. In the Hereafter he will be saved from being punished like a hypocrite, or it will be witnessed that he isn’t a munafiq. Verily, when hypocrites stand for prayer they stand lazy. The person in this hadeeth is nothing like them.
- The hadeeth shows the virtue of joining Takbirul Ihram with the Imam.
- Ibn Hajr (may Allah have mercy on him) said,: Catching the Takbirul Ihram is a stressed sunnah. Whenever the salaf used to miss the opening Takbir for the prayer they would blame themselves for this loss for three days. Additionally, whenever they missed the congregation they used to hold guilt about this loss for seven days.
Translated by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Battle
Doha, Qatar ©
 Taken from, Shaykh Ubaidallah Al-Mubarakfuri’s (1414h may Allah have mercy on him) explanation for Miskahtul Musaabih