A Deed Few People Practice
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو عَنِ النَّبِىِّ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- أَنَّهُ قَالَ « خَصْلَتَانِ أَوْ خَلَّتَانِ لاَ يُحَافِظُ عَلَيْهِمَا رَجُلٌ مُسْلِمٌ إِلاَّ دَخَلَ الْجَنَّةَ هُمَا يَسِيرٌ وَمَنْ يَعْمَلُ بِهِمَا قَلِيلٌ تُسَبِّحُ اللَّهَ عَشْراً وَتَحْمَدُ اللَّهَ عَشْراً وَتُكَبِّرُ اللَّهَ عَشْراً فِى دُبُرِ كُلِّ صَلاَةٍ فَذَلِكَ مِائَةٌ وَخَمْسُونَ بِاللِّسَانِ وَأَلْفٌ وَخَمْسُمِائَةٍ فِى الْمِيزَانِ وَتُسَبِّحُ ثَلاَثاً وَثَلاَثِينَ وَتَحْمَدُ ثَلاَثاً وَثَلاَثِينَ وَتُكَبِّرُ أَرْبَعاً وَثَلاَثِينَ إِذَا أَخَذَ مَضْجَعَهُ – فَذَلِكَ مِائَةٌ بِاللِّسَانِ وَأَلْفٌ فِى الْمِيزَانِ. قَالُوا يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ كَيْفَ هُمَا يَسِيرٌ وَمَنْ يَعْمَلُ بِهِمَا قَلِيلٌ قَالَ « يَأْتِى أَحَدَكُمْ الشَّيْطَانُ إِذَا فَرَغَ مِنْ صَلاَتِهِ فَيُذَكِّرُهُ حَاجَةَ كَذَا وَكَذَا فَيَقُومُ وَلاَ يَقُولُهَا فَإِذَا اضْطَجَعَ يَأْتِيهِ الشَّيْطَانُ فَيُنَوِّمُهُ قَبْلَ أَنْ يَقُولَهَا ». فَلَقَدْ رَأَيْتُ رَسُولَ
اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- يَعْقِدُهُنَّ فِى يَدِهِ.
Abdullah ibn ‘Amr(may Allah be pleased with him)narrated that the Prophet(ﷺ ) said,
“There are two characteristics that whenever the Muslim maintains them will enter Jannah. These two traits are easy to possess. However, only a few people acquire them. Say “ Subhanallah” ten times, “Al-Hamduillah”
ten times and “Allahu akbar” ten times at the end of each Salah. By practicing this deed you earn one hundred and fifty rewards for your tongue and one thousand five hundred for the scale (of good deeds). And before you go to sleep say “Subhanallah” thirty three times, Al-Hamdulilah” thirty three times and Allahu akbar thirty four times. By saying these words before you sleep you gain one hundred good deeds for your tongue and one thousand deeds for the scale. The companions (may Allah be pleased with them) asked” Oh messenger, How is that these deeds are easy, yet few people do them? He said,” Right after a person finishes praying Shaitan comes to him and reminds him of something that he has to do. Therefore this person gets up and leaves without saying these words. Additionally, when he lies in his bed Shaitan comes to him and causes him to fall asleep before he mentions these words. ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr(may Allah be pleased with him)said , “ I saw the messenger of Allah(ﷺ )say these words using his hand to count them.
Badrudeen ‘Al-‘Aynee(855H. May Allah have mercy on him) commented on this hadeeth. in his book “ Al-Ilmul Hayyab fee Sharhil Kalamee Tayyib.” He wrote;
- Abdullah is:Abdullah ibn’Amr ibn Al-‘As
- The narrator of the hadeeth wasn’t exactly sure if he (peace and blessings be upon him)said,
“خَصْلَتَانِ أَوْ خَلَّتَانِ”
- Whenever the Muslim maintains them: Muslims don’t acquire these two traits; as they don’t practice them deed as a norm.
- One hundred and fifty for the tongue: If a person says these words after the five daily prayers they will total 150 as 30 X 5= 150
- One thousand five hundred: Means that every good word which totals 10 is multiplied by 10, so if we sum 150 x 10 we get 1500.
- Say “ Allahu Akbar” thirty four times: This is the second trait. The first one is to say “Subhanallah, Al-Hamdulilah and Allahu Akbar “thirty three times after each obligatory Salah.
- One hundred good deeds for the tongue:This is earned because “Allahu Akbar is said thirty four times, Al-Hamdulilah is thirty three times and Subhanallah is thirty three times, and the total of those is one hundred. And to multiply one hundred by ten you get a sum of 1,000 for the scale.
- The prophet(ﷺ )used his hands: He counted the number of times he said them with his hand.
- .The companions said,” How is it that…? :These two traits aren’t acquired by any. In other words they asked how is it that something so easy is neglected; as it’s known that when something is easy to do a lot of people do it. Consequently he (peace and blessings be upon him) explained why few people obtain these traits. Shaitan comes to a person when he goes to bed and continues to whisper to the son of Adam until he falls asleep. Also Shaitan comes to a person while he is praying and continues to whispers thoughts and ideas that wasn’t in his mind before. Therefore he gets up after finishing the prayer and leaves before saying these words.
Benefits derived from this hadeeth:
- The invocation and the mention of Allah’s names are a means for the servant to enter Jannah.
- Good deeds are multiplied by ten or more.
- The scale is a fact.
- Counting the glorification of Allah is done using the
- Shaitan is persistent with his whispers to the son of
Adam during prayer and at bed time. ( end of Explanation)
We ask Allah to extend His mercy and allow us to practice this deed daily.
by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Lamont Battle
 Collected by Abu Dawud(5065), At-Tirmithi(3410)Nisa’i(926)and Ahmed(2/205) Imam An-Nawwawee graded the isnad of this hadeeth as being Saheeh and Imam At-Tirmithi said this hadeeth is Hasan Saheeh.