The Legislated Social Interaction between Muslims and non-Muslims
Requesting others to ask Allah to guide non-Muslim relatives to Islam
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
أَبُو هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ كُنْتُ أَدْعُو أُمِّى إِلَى الإِسْلاَمِ وَهِىَ مُشْرِكَةٌ فَدَعَوْتُهَا يَوْمًا فَأَسْمَعَتْنِى فِى رَسُولِ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- مَا أَكْرَهُ فَأَتَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- وَأَنَا أَبْكِى قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إِنِّى كُنْتُ أَدْعُو أُمِّى إِلَى الإِسْلاَمِ فَتَأْبَى عَلَىَّ فَدَعَوْتُهَا الْيَوْمَ فَأَسْمَعَتْنِى فِيكَ مَا أَكْرَهُ فَادْعُ اللَّهَ أَنْ يَهْدِىَ أُمَّ أَبِى هُرَيْرَةَ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « اللَّهُمَّ اهْدِ أُمَّ أَبِى هُرَيْرَةَ ». فَخَرَجْتُ مُسْتَبْشِرًا بِدَعْوَةِ نَبِىِّ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- فَلَمَّا جِئْتُ فَصِرْتُ إِلَى الْبَابِ فَإِذَا هُوَ مُجَافٌ فَسَمِعَتْ أُمِّى خَشْفَ قَدَمَىَّ فَقَالَتْ مَكَانَكَ يَا أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ. وَسَمِعْتُ خَضْخَضَةَ الْمَاءِ قَالَ – فَاغْتَسَلَتْ وَلَبِسَتْ دِرْعَهَا وَعَجِلَتْ عَنْ خِمَارِهَا فَفَتَحَتِ الْبَابَ ثُمَّ قَالَتْ يَا أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَأَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهُ وَرَسُولُهُ – قَالَ – فَرَجَعْتُ إِلَى رَسُولِ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- فَأَتَيْتُهُ وَأَنَا أَبْكِى مِنَ الْفَرَحِ – قَالَ – قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَبْشِرْ قَدِ اسْتَجَابَ اللَّهُ دَعْوَتَكَ وَهَدَى أُمَّ أَبِى هُرَيْرَةَ. فَحَمِدَ اللَّهَ وَأَثْنَى عَلَيْهِ وَقَالَ خَيْرًا – قَالَ – قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ادْعُ اللَّهَ أَنْ يُحَبِّبَنِى أَنَا وَأُمِّى إِلَى عِبَادِهِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَيُحَبِّبَهُمْ إِلَيْنَا – قَالَ – فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « اللَّهُمَّ حَبِّبْ عُبَيْدَكَ هَذَا – يَعْنِى أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ وَأُمَّهُ – إِلَى عِبَادِكَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَحَبِّبْ إِلَيْهِمُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ». فَمَا خُلِقَ مُؤْمِنٌ يَسْمَعُ بِى وَلاَ يَرَانِى إِلاَّ أَحَبَّنِى.
Abu Huraira reported:
I invited my mother, who was a polytheist, to Islam. I invited her one day to Islam and she said something about Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) which I hated. I came to Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) weeping and said: Allah’s Messenger, I invited my mother to Islam but she did not accept it. I invited her today but she said to me something which I did not like. (Kindly) supplicate to Allah to guide Abu Huraira’s mother to the right path. Following this Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said: O Allah, guide the mother of Abu Huraira to the right path. I came out quite pleased with the supplication of Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) and when I came near the door it was closed. My mother heard the noise of my footsteps and she said: Abu Huraira, just wait. And I could hear the noise of the water running. She took a bath and put on the shirt and quickly covered her head with a headdress and opened the door and then said: Abu Huraira, I bear witness to the fact that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His Slave and His Messenger. He (Abu Huraira) said: I went back to Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) and (this time) I was shedding the tears of joy. I said: Allah’s Messenger, be happy, for Allah has responded to your supplication and He has guided my mother to Islam. He (the Prophet) praised Allah, and extolled Him and uttered good words. I said: Allah’s Messenger, supplicate to Allah so that He may instill the love of me and that of my mother in the believing servants and let our hearts be filled with their love, as a result of Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said: O Allah, let there be love of these servants of yours, i.e. Abu Huraira and his mother, in the hearts of the believing servants and let their hearts be filled with the love of the believing servants. (Abu Huraira said: This prayer) was so well granted by Allah that no believer was ever born who heard of me and who saw me but did not love me.
Important directives for this subject:
- Imam Al-Bukhari mentioned this hadith in Adabul Mufrad under the chapter heading- Offering Islam to a Christian mother-, which implies that Abu Huraira’s mother was a Christian.
- Shaykh Zayd Al-Madkhali(رحمه الله تعالى)said: This hadith provides evidence for inviting people to Islam as an obligation for the scholars.
- This hadith demonstrates the real significance of being dutiful towards parents and the rights of the mothers.
- Making dua for our mothers is answered.
- This hadith proves that the description for Wudu was known by the previous nations.
- A child should have the desire and concern for his mother to be a Muslim. He should teach her and tell her about the religion.
- A serious effort for inviting non-Muslim parents and close relatives to Islam must be done and patience for their harm must be practiced.
- It’s okay to request righteous people and others to supplicate to Allah to guide our loved ones.
- Shaykh Zayd Al-Madkhali (may Allah have mercy on him)said: This hadith shows it’s a must to invite our mothers to Islam in generally and close relatives specifically. If our relatives are muslims,but are ignorant then we must exert all of our efforts to teach them the pillars of Islam,the articles of faith, the correct ways of worship,and the difference between Halal and Haraam.
- This hadith reminds us that we start giving Dawah with our close relatives first. What’s the true benefit if we are outside teaching Islam and our parents are ignorant of this deen inside of our homes? What’s the point of teaching others when we are neglecting our own households? Who do you think deserves the most attention?
- The Seerah shows the Prophet and His companions gave dawah to their family members 1st.
- When our family members say things mocking the religion we must control our anger, because they are speaking out of ignorance,so we should feel sad that they are misguided. Abu Huraira went to the Prophet crying after his mother made certain comments about Islam and the Messenger.
- About 20 plus years ago there was a caller in the America who went to study Islam ,not be a Da’ee ,but to invite his family to Islam and today he is responsible for calling his family to Islam and has the largest Muslim family of reverts in the USA.(May Allah have mercy on him)
To be continued –Inshallah.
Prepared by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Battle
Doha,Qatar 1437 ©
 Sahih Muslim 2491
 Rashul Barid sharh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, by Dr. Muhammad Luqman As-Salafy
 Sharh Adab Al-Mufrad,by Shaykh Rslan.
 Ibid Shaykh Zayd