Earn Two Intercessions in the Month of Ramadhan
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
عَنْ عَبْدِ اللهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو : أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ : الصِّيَامُ وَالْقُرْآنُ يَشْفَعَانِ لِلْعَبْدِ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ ، يَقُولُ الصِّيَامُ : أَيْ رَبِّ ، مَنَعْتُهُ الطَّعَامَ وَالشَّهَوَاتِ بِالنَّهَارِ ، فَشَفِّعْنِي فِيهِ ، وَيَقُولُ الْقُرْآنُ : مَنَعْتُهُ النَّوْمَ بِاللَّيْلِ ، فَشَفِّعْنِي فِيهِ ، قَالَ : فَيُشَفَّعَانِ.
Fasting and the Quran will both intercede on behalf of the servant on the Day of Judgment. Fasting will say my Lord, I prevented him from the food and desires during the day, and so let me intercede for him. The Quran will say, “ I prevented him from sleeping at night, so let me intercede in his favor. Allah will say, “ You may both intercede.”
Collected by Ahmed(2/174), Al-Bayhaqi, in Branches of Faith (1994). Imam Al-Albani graded it as being authentic.
Benefits for this Subject
- Ash-Shiekh UbaidAllah Al-Mubarkfuri said:, “Fasting” refers to the fast of Ramadhan, while other scholars say every kind of fast is included. “The Quran” refers to the its recital and Imam t-Tibee said, “It means the night prayer. There is something similar found in the verse when the Quran is refered to as the Prayer. Allah said, “Recite the Quran at Fajr. Indeed the Quran in the early dawn is witnessed” Al-Isra 78. And it’s clear by wording, “The Quran will say I prevented him from sleeping at night. 
- Al-Amir As-Sanan’I said, these two acts will actually intercede for the person in reality.
- Ash-Shiekh UbaidAllah Al-Mubarkfuri said: “These two will intercede on his behalf…” implies that Fasting and the Quran recital will be giving a physical form with the ability to talk, thus the deeds on the Day of Resurrection will have a body. Also, these words could indicate that Allah will send an Angel to speak on the tongue of these two acts. This hadith must be accepted and understood just as it is. 
- Imam At-Tibee said: The intercession of the Quran and Fasting has been interpreted to mean that these acts will be given the ability intercede on the person’s behalf as mentioned in the texts. This is the correct methodology; as the human’s mind is limited in regards to understanding the divine world. Therefore, the only thing to do is to submit to these texts as they are and to believe in them. There are some people who say the intercession of the Fast and the recital of the Quran is figurative and means they will stop Allah’s Anger towards the servant and give him honor, raise his status and rank with Allah on the Day of Judgment. 
- Imam Mulla Ali Al-Qari said, “ Perhaps the intercession of Ramadhan will remove the bad deeds.
- Translators’ note. Ramadhan is the month of the worship day and night. During the night we pray Tarawih, study and read the Quran and during the day we are fasting. Therefore , this hadith can be applied for the month of Ramadhan. And Allah knows best.
Prepared by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Battle
Doha, Qatar 1440H © The
blessed Arabian Peninsula
 Mirahtul Mafatih vol 8/155 by Ash-Shiekh UbaidAllah
 At-Tanweer vol7/95